RE: Learning HTML

Subject: RE: Learning HTML
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com" <Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 14:25:02 -0700

Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com wrote:

> I believe Toni WAS using the best research tool at his disposal: Us.

I'm guessing, based on spelling, that it's _her_ disposal.

> The only way Google is better than we are is if the subject is beyond
> our range. We are the better filter for the QUALITY of the various
> sources that are available.
>
> Our ranking is a better bet than Google's.

But Toni simply asked, "do you know of any websites I can access for this purpose." That's not the same as indicating that you've done some basic research and are now asking list members what they think of this or that alternative.

The latter approach suggests the poster has put in some effort and isn't simply off-loading the entire task on list members. Maybe Toni has done that, but the way the post was worded seems to suggest it's a "do my homework for me" request.

If that's not the case, Toni, I apologize. But I also suggest you try to avoid creating that inference in the future.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom