Whirler Recap for the Week of May 23rd

Subject: Whirler Recap for the Week of May 23rd
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 13:36:19 -0500

[Community note: sometimes bad clicks happen to good people – we seem to be
entering in another period of online attacks with phishing and social
engineering being the main ways Spammers get through system defenses. Our
discussion list is pretty robust and can standup to most SPAM from the
outside. However, if the post comes from the inside then it’s far harder to
defend. For your sake, as well as that of our community, please be prudent
on which files and links you choose to explore.]

This Week @ TechWhirl

Another eventful week in the TECHWR-L community, and we are looking forward
to the long holiday weekend in the U.S. The discussion list woke up again
for some lively debate after a very light week during the STC Summit. Our
first ever webinar with Gold sponsor Vancouver Island University was a
success, and we’re liked by more and more of our Facebook and Twitter
Friends.

Kudos to Julie Clarke from VIU for providing a short and really informative
talk on the Technical Communication Certificate Program offered by Vancouver
Island University. If you missed it, we will be posting the webinar online
in the near future or you can contact Julie (julie -dot- Clarke -at- viu -dot- ca) to find
out more about increasing your skillsets and propelling your career forward.

You could hear the virtual crickets chirping on the list last week, but
conversation returned with a bang this week. The most talked about topics?
Help for mobile apps (including iPhone), where to learn about HTML, how to
depict inter-dependent entities, gotchas in moving to Windows 7, issues with
Framemaker 7.2 and expanding into usability to make yourself more
marketable. Folks posting requests for advice on low-cost online help
alternatives and mass stylesheet application in Word would definitely
appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

During the last six weeks, we have been making constant progress toward our
goal of creating *the* place for Tech Writer discussions and online content.
We’d like to extend a special hello to those of you following us on Facebook
and Twitter. It means a lot to us that we’re seeing steady growth in page
views and friends. Welcome. In case you haven’t joined our Facebook Page
it can be found at Facebook.com/techwriterlist and for Twitter we’re
@TechWriterToday.

To all of you who are or were armed service members in the United States or
those of our allies – we send you our sincere thanks and gratitude.
This Week’s Articles & Poll

· New: User’s Advocate Article by Geoff Hart, Taking Advantage of
Social Media. Part II: The Media Aren’t the Message, goo.gl/ME4eA

· Classic: Jean Hollis Weber’s Classic: Developing a Departmental Style
Guide, goo.gl/85D9h

· Poll: Are you preparing to use HTML5 in your technical
communications? Techwr-l.com
Upcoming events & Articles

· Tech-Whirler Online Survey (better late than never –eh?)

· New: “Know Your Audience … and How They Consume Content in the
21stCentury ” by Connie Giordano

· Classic: “A Book of Your Own” by Herman Holtz
SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to sponsors. Without them, we
couldn’t do that voodoo that we do.

We had a good time chatting with the guys from ComponentOne during the STC
Summit, and encourage you to check out
Doc-to-Help<http://www.doctohelp.com/>when looking for solutions to
publish press-ready manuals, searchable web
content and desktop help.

Platinum: ComponentOne, Adobe, Madcap

Gold: The Society for Technical Communications, EC Software
Silver: Vancouver Island

http://www.doctohelp.com