RE: Can this career be saved?

Subject: RE: Can this career be saved?
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 20:58:01 -0400

Hi Deborah,

My replies were meant to say that virtually every state has had its ups and
downs. I remember moving to Oregon with the promise of jobs and having to
leave six months later. If it wasn't for help from friends, we would have
been living on the streets. It wasn't that there were on $15 hour jobs,
there were no jobs. It was the beginning of the dot com bust and we had
spent all our money moving down from Alaska. I lucked out at the last minute
and found work in Albuquerque. Unfortunately, Albuquerque is known for low
wages and high housing costs.

When we moved to Vermont (due to wife getting a great job), I discovered
that the TW field was limited. If you were a programmer with writing skills,
you had a better chance with the smaller companies. The only other option
was IBM, but IBM has a nasty habit of hiring a bunch of people and then
canning them in three months, so you don't work long enough to get
unemployment. I lucked out getting a job with another tech company because I
had hardware and software backgrounds. But the only reason I got that job
was because I was persistent, the same trait that got me work in Alaska and
New Mexico.

We have family in the area, and my wife used to live there. I should also
add that we are not going and looking for jobs in Michigan. We are retiring,
so we view the state differently.

Al Geist-Geist Associates

Technical Communication, Help, Documentation Management

Office/Msg: 802-872-9190

Cell: 802-578-3964

E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com

See Also:

Geist Arts - Fine Art Photography - Exceptional Note Cards

www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

http://www.doctohelp.com