Re: Good Old (Tech) Days....WAS "Can this career be saved?"

Subject: Re: Good Old (Tech) Days....WAS "Can this career be saved?"
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: beelia -at- pacbell -dot- net
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 09:56:33 -0400

I'd tossed a lot of my old media (5.25", 3.5", floptical disk,
magneto-optical disc, SyQuest cartriges...). I'm wishing I'd kept them
and found a way to transfer some of the items on them. Not a lot worth
keeping, but there were some projects I would have liked to retain. Ah
well. I haven't needed them, it's more for sentimental reasons.

Then again, I can't run older games I loved on any new machines, so at
some point i just have to let go... ;-)

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:50 PM, beelia <beelia -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> I still have a bunch of those 5-1/4" discs in a closet. I wrote my master's
> thesis on an IBM Displaywriter word processor, which actually took 8" disks
> (yeah, I still have it).
>
> Every once in awhile I wonder why I've kept all that stuff, and who on earth
> would want it. I still have 8 or 9 PCs, but you guys with Commodores and
> TRS-80s have me beat. My first one had Windows 3.1 installed.
>
> I also have an Apple Mac LC-1 and the first Apple LaserWriter (filled with
> dried-up toner). I coveted, but did not purchase an Osborne 1. Good thing,
> too - I could barely lift that "first portable computer".
>
> And now, I invite all of you creaky old-timers to join the club. Get
> yourself a proper commemorative t-shirt so we can celebrate our survival
> together:
>
>
> http://www.jinx.com/p/ask_me_about_old_hardware_t_shirt.html
>
> Cheers
>
> Bee
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
>
>> In 1978 my boss showed me these remarkable 5-1/4" floppy discs, each
>> containing a few fonts comprising a typeface family. These were for a
>> Compugraphic typesetter. Ads were created with rubylith, clip art, glue
>> pots, X-Acto knives and waxing units. On Friday afternoons I'd change from
>> my role as a salesperson/rough layout artist to negative stripper and
>> aluminum plate burner, all destined for the Web (decidedly NOT the www
>> variety) press.
>>
>> In '86 I set myself up as an independent, PostScript-enabled, PC-based
>> electronic publishing house, centered around a hot-rodded AT-compatible.
>> This was back when FEW people—outside of the Palo Alto/Menlo Park elite and
>> company employees at Apple, Adobe, Aldus and QMS—considered DTP to be truly
>> viable, *especially* from a PC!
>>
>> > Chris
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Becca <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
>>
>> > At my first writing job, writers were to *write* and secretaries typed -
>> > that was a big uproar in the STC in those days. It was a big day when the
>> > company purchased a (I think) Word Star unit that the secretary actually
>> got
>> > into like a cockpit to do the data entry and formatting. The output was a
>> > long thin strip maybe 3-4" wide that we put through a hot wax machine to
>> be
>> > able to do our layouts and pasteups.
>> >
>> > Am I really dating myself?
>> >
>> > -Becca
>> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> >
>> > Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
>> > Doc-To-Help.
>> > Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
>> > Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
>> > http://www.doctohelp.com
>> >
>> > ---
>> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
>> >
>> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> > techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>> > or visit
>> >
>> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/salt.morton%40gmail.com
>> >
>> >
>> > To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>> >
>> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> > http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>> >
>> > Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
>> > http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
>> >
>> >
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
>> Doc-To-Help.
>> Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
>> Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
>> http://www.doctohelp.com
>>
>> ---
>> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as beelia -at- pacbell -dot- net -dot-
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>> or visit
>> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/beelia%40pacbell.net
>>
>>
>> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>>
>> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>>
>> Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
>> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
>>
>>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
> Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
> Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/techcommdood%40gmail.com
>
>
> To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.
>
> Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat
>
>



--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40web.techwr-l.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat


Follow-Ups:

References:
Re: Good Old (Tech) Days....WAS "Can this career be saved?": From: Chris Morton
Re: Good Old (Tech) Days....WAS "Can this career be saved?": From: beelia

Previous by Author: Re: Persistence in tech writing
Next by Author: Re: Conversion tool for PDF or Framemaker to Sharepoint wiki pages?
Previous by Thread: Re: Good Old (Tech) Days....WAS "Can this career be saved?"
Next by Thread: RE: Good Old (Tech) Days....WAS "Can this career be saved?"


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads