Re: Good Old (Tech) Days....WAS "Can this career be saved?"

Subject: Re: Good Old (Tech) Days....WAS "Can this career be saved?"
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:49:15 -0500 (CDT)

Oh, you mean like

Sincerely yours,

Joseph Blowhard
Master of the Universe
Annihilate, Inc.

JB\sq

where "sq" was the initials of his secretary, Susie Q?

I used to DO that, as the humble lowercase secretary, back in my temporary-secretary days in graduate school!

Have not seen that in a long, long time.

I think it was meaningful when it meant that only the big honcho and his underling ever saw or touched the letter. Now, 99% of those letters have been replaced by emails that can be copied anywhere, so there's no exclusivity to them.

I supposed that in highly regulated situations, there are controls on the data that do identify everyone who's touched it. But that old manual technique is surely gone with the IBM Selectric II . . .

--Nancy

http://www.doctohelp.com