Re: missing menu items in Acrobat X Pro

Subject: Re: missing menu items in Acrobat X Pro
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Jon Harvey" <JHarvey -at- cambridgesoft -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:28:38 -0700

There is no Advanced item on the
main menu. On further investigation, I find that my main menu is missing
several items: Document, Comments, Forms, Tools, Advanced.
However, I do have File, Edit, View, Window, Help.
How do I get all the menu items in Acrobat X Pro to appear in
Adobe Acrobat Pro?

Hi Jon,

I hate to suggest it, but have you tried repairing the Acrobat installation (Help > Repair Acrobat Installation)? Long ago I would have simply said to try this figuring it couldn't hurt, but (on an admittedly long-in-the-tooth system with known previous problems due to Acrobat upgrades, updates, and additional product installs at various time) I have had terrible problems in the past and so now make a whole system backup before letting any Acrobat/Adobe updates to be installed.

So short of that, here are some ideas:

* A somewhat common thing is to press the F9 key -- it controls whether or not menu items are shown at all. But since you do see some menu items, that seems unlikely to fix the problem.

* I haven't seen a way to restore just some menu items, but a work around could be to show all the toolbars. But the problem is, (on Acrobat 9 Pro), the way to customize the toolbars is through the Tools > Customize Toolbars menu, so it's a chicken-and-egg thing here.

* I googled "comments menu missing acrobat pro", and found this that may help:

http://acrobatusers.com/forum/collaboration-commenting/missing-comments-menu-menu-bar-file-edit-view-bar - says that "annots.api" has to be in the plug_ins folder.

Do let us know if any of these suggestions help,
-Monique

http://www.doctohelp.com