Re: [Techshoret] How to get Android's documentation

Subject: Re: [Techshoret] How to get Android's documentation
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 01:51:25 -0700 (PDT)

It looks to me as though a combination of doc generation tools, merged with authoring tools, and some handy CSS work would do it.  Now, exactly what was the handy CSS work?  That's probably proprietary.  And likewise their methods to merge authoring with generated docs.

Of course, I'm guessing this is their method simply because it's the method I use.  We all project our own experience on whatever we see, don't we?  But I have abandoned tools like RoboHelp, DreamWeaver, etc. to the greatest extent possible (i.e. only use them when the boss forces me to).  Instead, I author docs in FrameMaker and just save as HTML.  After that I run my own processor over the results to clean out FrameMaker garbage and insert DoxyGen codes.  Then I can compile a help system that includes generated and authored help in the same set.  I wrap it up in my own frames so I gan get the typical WebHelp arrangement (TOC, body, custom banner at the top).  For CSS I start with the default DoxyGen CSS and the FrameMaker generated CSS...  I glom those together and then tweak until I like what I see.  Once I have the file set designed, updates are easy.  Author, push a few buttons, move a few files, zip it up, and deliver.  The actual file
count, complexity, payload, etc. is miniscule compared to output from products like RoboHelp or WebWorks.

http://www.doctohelp.com