RE: Quotation marks around user interface labels

Subject: RE: Quotation marks around user interface labels
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Ruth Sessions <ruthsessions03051 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:42:50 -0700

Ruth Sessions wrote:

> If you are using FrameMaker, you can use the Copy Character Format menu
> item, then just paste that format wherever it's needed using CTRL-V on
> each word. I find this menu/keystroke combination makes quick work of
> bolding or italicizing text.

Caution: This does _not_ copy the character tag at the insertion point (or selected text). It copies the specific formatting at that location, including the underlying paragraph formatting, formatting applied via a char tag, and formatting applied ad hoc (e.g., clicking the Bold button). So that's what gets pasted.

It works OK if the pgfs from which you're copying and to which you're pasting have the same font settings. But if you copy the char format from a body pgf using 11 pt Palatino and you paste it to some text in a table pgf using 9 pt Futura -- well, that text becomes 11 pt Palatino, plus whatever char tag or ad hoc formatting you copied.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom