Re: RE: Quotation marks around user interface labels

Subject: Re: RE: Quotation marks around user interface labels
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: odile -at- mindspring -dot- com
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 15:03:04 -0500 (CDT)

Hi, Odile and everyone.

I bold UI lables *only* when they appear in a step and are acted upon. I don't bold them in general text description.

I also assume that, for people who are skimming a document quickly, the capitalization of the names of dialog boxes, windows, and UI devices is enough to draw the eye.

Other people's responses are making me wonder if I am under-using bolding, though.

--Nancy

Jul 19, 2011 03:54:18 PM, odile -at- mindspring -dot- com wrote:

Two issues we encountered that I haven't seen mentioned yet, I don't think, in this thread:

Do you bold all UI control labels in the step, or only those that the user touches (clicks, selects, or enters data into)?

Do you bold these UI control labels only in step text, or always? Or do you bold them everywhere they come into play procedurally (whether in step or paragraph text), but not when simply named in background or general discussion?

http://www.doctohelp.com