Re: How did you handle your most difficult project as a TW?

Subject: Re: How did you handle your most difficult project as a TW?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 11:53:20 -0700

We had a freshly-minted PhD (most likely purchased on the 'Net) assigned to
our small techwriting/training group at a Deloitte-run project for the State
of California. The guy was way in over his depth, and insisted that we write
to the APA standard. His Deloitte handler was also young and wet behind the
ears, but making every attempt to advance through the Deloitte ranks. If he
failed, it would be a black mark on her record.

After several weeks of being vocal about the CMoS being our standard, he
finally succumbed and bought a copy of "that Chicago book" (as he called it)
for reference. It stayed in his cubicle, as none of us worker-bees really
needed it. Although I drove that project to a successful conclusion in the
absence of capable management, received a raise part-way through my
seven-month contract, and have referrals from the client, at the end the
doctor gave me a poor review and I've been blackballed by Deloitte in this
region. I note with some satisfaction that Dr. APA is no longer affiliated
with Deloitte, they having finally woken up to his gross incompetence.

http://www.doctohelp.com