Re: Seeking an alternate term for "lookup"

Subject: Re: Seeking an alternate term for "lookup"
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:55:57 -0400

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:40:50 -0400, Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

I've usually seen "lookup" used to describe an unlabeled icon
(binoculars or a magnifying glass) that lets you open a dialog box and
select a value. But our interface uses buttons with text labels
instead of icons. So I need to have an alternate term to suggest in
the next GUI design meeting.

I have seen more and more interfaces change from words in English to horrid icons with no words at all, not even hover text (or is that hovertext or hover-text? Or maybe Hoover Text, little picture of a vacuum, signifying nothing?) If it doesn't happen to you this year it will next. Sorry.

Look up concept number 461 in Roget.

Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need. Try
Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:

Previous by Author: Re: Structured FM versus Arbortext Editor
Next by Author: Re: how useful are video tutorials/screencasts?
Previous by Thread: Linked In
Next by Thread: Re:5

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads