RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 70, Issue 15

Subject: RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 70, Issue 15
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 08:21:53 -0400

On digest, so just getting this one...

Gene has my vote. Unless there's already another button labeled "Search" with a different purpose, that seems the most logical option to me.

Otherwise, what kind of list or database will the user be opening? If it's a list of names of people in the company, for instance, why not call it "Directory"?

Kenneth Nuckols
Compass Team

------------------------------

Message: 21
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:08:52 -0700
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
Cc: techwr-l -at- techwr-l -dot- com
Subject: Re: Seeking an alternate term for "lookup"

What's wrong with "search?"

Gene Kim-Eng

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> The problem is, I'm drawing a blank for alternate terms. In procedures
> I've usually seen "lookup" used to describe an unlabeled icon
> (binoculars or a magnifying glass) that lets you open a dialog box and
> select a value. But our interface uses buttons with text labels
> instead of icons. So I need to have an alternate term to suggest in
> the next GUI design meeting.

------------------------------

Message: 22
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 19:53:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jan Cohen <najnehoc -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: dp -at- plattsburghlaw -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com,
joanmariethomas -at- yahoo -dot- com, cfxpert -at- hotmail -dot- com
Subject: Re:5

This site is a solution to all our problems! I can?t live without it!... http://ravera.todouy.com/premium.php?atjSID=94u2

------------------------------

Message: 23
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 22:50:13 -0500
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW! It's a SPAM message which got through our
filters.

Please be careful on the files or links you click on. It's not just a good
idea for your computer, it'll keep SPAM from being sent through the system.

This type of hacking is almost impossible to guard against since a) happened
outside of our system and didn't send HTML (that we strip away) b) happened
to someone who wasn't moderated.

take care and careful with those clicks,
Connie & Al

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Jan Cohen <najnehoc -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> This site is a solution to all our problems! I can?t live without it!...
> http://ravera.todouy.com/premium.php?atjSID=94u2
>
> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with
> Doc-To-Help.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as admin -at- inktopia -dot- net -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/admin%40inktopia.net

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist

------------------------------

Message: 24
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2011 08:19:41 +0500
From: <nufun33ol -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com, techwr-l -at- techwr-l -dot- com

Usually buttons have more direct term/text on them than say lookup. Lookup is more suggestive than direct/command. How about Open or Enter or Browse or similar words. What you are loooking for is a word that seems to you more direct/commanding than just a suggestion. I would say spend some time using differet word for that button and you will find the right one.

I hope this helps.

Fahad.

------------------------------

Message: 25
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 00:04:58 -0400
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Julie Stickler'" <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- techwr-l -dot- com>

Julie Stickler asked for an alternate term for "lookup" on a GUI interface
button ..will let you search the database to enter a value in a field (for
example, Lookup Employees).
Julie,
I agree with Peter that the best label is probably "FIND". I recently
wrote/edited an administrator's manual for a banking software product that
had a lot of screens for setting options when people opened accounts
allowing them to deposit checks without going to the bank. Each level of
setup had FIND buttons, Find Customer, Find Account, etc. Each one opened a
search list. If the information was not found, the admin user then had a
Create New button to start a new record for a new customer who did not
already have an account.

Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

End of TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 70, Issue 15

http://www.doctohelp.com