fonts' stylistic sets (was: Full justified text question: Word 2007)

Subject: fonts' stylistic sets (was: Full justified text question: Word 2007)
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Debbie Hemstreet" <D_Hemstreet -at- rambam -dot- health -dot- gov -dot- il>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 08:15:02 -0700

My question: Are there any tools out there that I can use to provide a more professional
look and fix the inter-character spacing? Kerning doesn't seem to work in Word (I did
apply it), and I am not sure if the condensed font spacing is really what I want.

Short story: perhaps the kerning can be adjusted via font "stylistic sets"?

Details:

I don't recall all the details because this is from a project I worked on a while ago, but... I was working on a doc for a client who was using a font (Bree) chosen by a designer who was working in InDesign, but I was tasked with creating the accompanying user docs in Word (2007).

It seemed that designer used two "styles" of the font, upright and sans, that weren't available to me even though I'd obtained the Bree font package. It turned out that the reason was because the "styles" belonged to the font's opentype "stylistic sets" -- a totally new concept to me.

Here's info on that subject:
* http://www.orzeszek.org/blog/2009/05/17/how-to-enable-opentype-ligatures-in-word-2010/
* http://www.vinodunny.com/blog/post/Using-OpenType-Font-Features-in-Word-2010.aspx

Yes -- this is supported in Word 2010 but not 2007, but if you're open to switching tools it would be less of a switch to upgrade the Word version than to go to a whole new tool.

(Word 2010 was still in early Beta so we didn't switch; instead I just chose a "similar looking" font, using a really cool tool, WhatTheFont, http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ -- pretty fun to play with!)

So no answers, but some more things to investigate!
HTH,
-Monique

http://www.doctohelp.com