Re: Word 2007 customizations vs Word 2010: Questions and Rant

Subject: Re: Word 2007 customizations vs Word 2010: Questions and Rant
From: Deborah Hemstreet <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
To: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 22:43:31 +0300

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response. I suppose, from a certain perspective Office 2010 is a jump ahead. But again, everything I've read says that my Ribbon customizations are transferable only in whole and cannot be template specific. Again, defeating my purpose.

But quite truthfully, from my perspective, its all glitter. I don't want to deploy an enterprise template. I don't want to deploy a start-up template. I want a very specific template for a very specific purpose to save myself and two other people a LOT of work by implementing macros and enabling quick access to all the commands we need without having to remember a thousand shortcut keys and move our hands from the keyboard to the mouse and click on different ribbons to find what once was all in one spot. And they only need these macros, shortcuts, buttons, etc. when working on a specific type of document; definitely not at startup and available for every document.

I do not believe this is an unreasonable desire.

Microsoft could have incorporated everything you mentioned, and still made it possible for people like me to (and I am convinced there are a lot of people like me) to get to the work of writing, authoring and designing, and forget about all the programming.

Finally, after a LOT of research, I learned that the SendKeys VBA command was broken on Vista, and this was not corrected on Windows 7. I was advised that this was not to replace with a different command, or a subtle enhancement, but something that literally was not considered a big enough issue to ever repair. The workaround required a lot of programming which a colleague knowledgeable in these things kindly provided to me.

You see, not everyone wants an enterprise solution. And not all technical writers are programmers. It has been nothing short of miraculous in my eyes, that I've been able to grasp what I do of VBA programming code. And in fact, not all IT departments have the foggiest idea how to cope with Word templates. I am working in a hospital on their journal. I am the first person in the history of this hospital that ever wanted, needed, and designed a template. The IT department has no understanding at all of what I need or how to do it. I talked with them earlier today and they want to get a consultant for me, but again, they don't know who knows about these issues!

Basically, your response confirms that my problem is very real. Word 2003 development it is. I need a template for a very specific use that would have been done two days ago if I'd made it in Word 2003. So I will finish it tomorrow, transfer it to 2007, and that will be the end of the story. All the commands needed will be on the Add-Ins tab, and that will be the end of the story... until Microsoft somehow finds a way to prevent that from working too (and I'm sure they will one of these days).

Thanks for taking the time to respond! And please forgive me if I sound a bit irate. I'm not mad at you, just a situation that is preventing me from getting to my work... and forcing me to waste time on things that I shouldn't have to waste time on....

Have a great weekend.

Deborah

On 08/31/2011 6:09 PM, Tony Chung wrote:

Deborah,

Office 2007 has a more powerful programming interface than 2003. To
get the most out of macros one needs to become a programmer. That's
been good for folks like me, who learned how to customize the 2007
Ribbon UI with 7zip and XMLmind.

When 2003 macro code doesn't work in 2007, it usually means there is a
better, easier way, using an object, and its methods and properties.
You sort of have to develop on Word 2007 to appreciate the benefits.
truncated to reduce file size...

http://www.doctohelp.com