Re: Using the conjunction OR in mutually exclusive options

Subject: Re: Using the conjunction OR in mutually exclusive options
From: Donna McManus <donna -dot- mcmanus -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 18:25:47 -0400

Mark, three cheers for this response! As my kids would say, I *heart* it.

If we're serious in our support of readers/users/consumers, simplicity is
always best. I've always hated the idea of having to insert alternative
procedures. It just doesn't make sense, particularly for the audience to
whom I'm writing: guys on a factory line, using a piece of equipment or
software, to put identification on parts from the production line. I'm
writing "how-to" procedures.

This is a lesson I'm taking away from the situation that prompted this
question--Occam's Razor. If there are one or more equally valid methods of
doing something, choose the least complicated.

The zen of TW :)

Donna

http://www.doctohelp.com