Re: Friday Fun: David Mitchell's Soapbox

Subject: Re: Friday Fun: David Mitchell's Soapbox
From: Donna McManus <donna -dot- mcmanus -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:46:44 -0400

It would be interesting to learn if studies have been done.

I can tell you that my little world has included an international team in my
recent experiences where we had British, Australian, American and Canadian
contributors. There were distinct usage, grammar, and spelling differences
in all four groups. It honestly was a challenge to edit and create a
cohesive document with four different types of English.

This is kind of a funny story to tell on a Friday. At my previous job, we
held a big week-long gathering and the Brits were there. I had drafted up a
really quick five page summary each day of our meetings. I did this about an
hour before we were scheduled to conclude each day. Either the 3rd or 4th
evening, I had done this and printed it out and asked one of the Brits for
input because I didn't quite understand his logic and ideas. He asked me to
leave the copy with him. So I did, the entire group went to dinner, had a
"jolly good time" and went our separate ways.

The next morning, he brings back the paper with his notes, and I was
grateful. Attached to this sheet was a little yellow sticky, intending to be
a morale booster (he noticed I was flagging at the end of our sessions each
day--they were very full days) that said "keep your pecker up!"

I had to ask him what he meant because it was pretty obvious I am unable to
do as he suggested!!! He pointed me to this website:
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/index.htm.

And on to things that aren't pornographic...and in no way was this intended
to be a pornographic message or a rude one.

http://www.doctohelp.com