Re: Using Word for book publishing

Subject: Re: Using Word for book publishing
From: Scott Turner <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: Donna McManus <donna -dot- mcmanus -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 20:31:35 -0500

Yes, you can indeed use Word to produce final layout for a document. You can also use Word for large, complex formatted documents.

In that vein you can also dig the panama canal with 10,000 men using shovels and no medical support. The end result may be more costly and difficult than is cost effective.

Word is not stable with large document files. Word also is challenged if you need to use multiple level numbering sequences. Word may also exhibit instability with paragraph and character tag formatting.

In short, Word was designed to do short uncomplicated documents. Documents like letters, and other business documents.

It don't even do XML in an adequate manner should that be a requirement, because it is inordinately difficult to reference a schema or DTD other than the one Microsoft embeds in it.

It is ubiquitous in the business world and in computers which makes it convenient, but not necessarily well or even adequately suited for this type of use.

Scott

http://www.doctohelp.com