Subject: RE: Using Word for book publishing

Subject: Subject: RE: Using Word for book publishing
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:30:29 -0500

On 09/06/2011 3:03 PM, Erika Yanovich wrote:

IMO, whoever is responsible for final production should choose the tool.
There are always last-minute changes, and only those familiar with the tool
can apply them with knowledge about how to deal with potential ripple
effects. (OK, never say "never" and always avoid "always.")

TeX produces PostScript, so it follows that Acrobat Distiller or a similar
tool can produce a PDF document from the PostScript file for whatever
delivery mechanisms PDF is appropriate for.

If the author creates the PDF in camera-ready state, then handing it off to
be published is a no-brainer. However, if anyone not familiar with TeX sill
be involved in manipulating the TeX document, it's a no-brainer that the
author/expert or other TeX expert is required.

Regarding the ins-and-outs of document design, typography, and layout, with
few exceptions the tool has to suit the requirements of the finished
document. The responsible person needs to know all the above well. Just
stepping in with some knowledge of some aspects because of some small or
great familiarity with a tool, doesn't guarantee a professionally successful
deliverable. Think of the unpleasant but familiar situation in which
professional technical writing is deprecated by someone who says, "I've been
speaking and writing all my life and I know the topic, so I'll do the
documentation - we don't need a tech writer."

It might be helpful to search Google for "tex latex discussion group"
without quotes to get an idea of what goes on in those communities, and also
locate forums on which to post questions.

HTH

Regards,

Peter
Peter Gold