Re: Job searching in this time of attrition....

Subject: Re: Job searching in this time of attrition....
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Robert Courtney <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 10:45:36 -0400

Hey Bobby,

Two bits of advice. First regarding networking, you're taking some
good steps in the right direction but don't forget about in-person
networking. Look up your local STC chapter and attend some meetings.
If you're not a member, you don't have to join to attend but you may
have to pay a "cover charge". Also look into local chamber of commerce
gatherings and other local business meetings. Search LinkedIn for
groups local to your area and see if they're having face to face
meetings (whether formal or general meet-ups at coffee houses or
pubs). It's great to be networked and socially engaged online, but
face-to-face is what really counts. So find the groups, go to the
meetings, enjoy a hot cup o' joe with folks or throw back a few pints
over anecdotes. It goes a long way, and will help you with regard to
the other bit of advice I have...

Work on correcting the funk you're in. If not for the job hunt, then
for yourself. I've been in your shoes many times, and believe me, it
never gets easier with time (well, the initial shock goes away - I'm
numb to announcements of layoffs now - but the underlying resentment
and general "crappy" feeling grows, at least for me). You need to
occupy your time and your mind with things you enjoy, and get out and
socialize with good people. You'll be better for it, and so will every
aspect of your job hunt.

Bill

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Robert Courtney <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am in search of a new position in technical writing. I have had some bad
> luck of late also. I have had 3 telephone interviews which I consider a good
> thing. My skills and background in writing is good. It tells me my resume is
> working. The only thing is I haven't had a bite as yet for an offer.
>
> I know my turn of bad luck has tainted my personality and I may not be
> presenting myself well over the phone. And it has been a while since I have
> done phone interviews or for that matter interviewing at all.
>
> I have started a campaign of scouring indeed.com, linkdin, and other
> resources. I have gone so far as to look at about.com for any material to
> improve my presence as a job seeker. I got some great interview question
> from the site that job interviewers might ask and answered them. I have used
> them to get myself ready for more phone interviews.
>
> Networking is one thing that I am working on right now. Linkdin is one good
> source. I am signed up for twitter and facebook. In each I have done a
> little posting of my searching for a position and hope that someone will
> view them and forward me something.
>
> Where is all this heading? I could use some help with any networking sites
> or clubs I may have not heard. Any suggestions for further search options.
>
> As I said before, right now my personal bad luck has tainted my personality
> and possibly how I am presenting myself. I am trying to get a better look on
> things and hopefully I am making some progress.
>
> I am in Southern California if that will help you in any way. Disneyland is
> just a hop away.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Bobby

> Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/techcommdood%40gmail.com

Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood