RE: Job searching in this time of attrition....

Subject: RE: Job searching in this time of attrition....
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Robert Courtney'" <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>, <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 14:57:48 -0400

Robert Courtney asked about Job searching in this time of attrition....
" I could use some help with any networking sites or clubs I may have not
heard. Any suggestions for further search options. As I said before, right
now my personal bad luck has tainted my personality and possibly how I am
presenting myself. I am trying to get a better look on things and hopefully
I am making some progress. I am in Southern California if that will help you
in any way. Disneyland is just a hop away.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
Bobby:
In southern California, I'd recommend you go to www.prospringstaffing.com
and subscribe to Jack Molisani's ProSpring job announcements at
writerlist -at- Prospring -dot- net -dot- The majority of the listings are in California,
although there are also positions posted from all over the US. Jack has been
active in LavaCon, and has presented job-hunting workshops at some of the
California STC chapter meetings.

I'd also set up job alerts on Indeed.com, which aggregates listings from
other boards, university, and corporate sites. When you find a board or
company with appropriate listings from the Indeed listings, add new job
alerts on those. Also subscribe to TheLadders.com. Even if TheLadders does
not have much in the line of technical writing jobs, the daily newsletters
on presenting yourself professionally in resumes, job interviews, etc. are
the best I've run across. I helped present a job hunting session at an
STCAtlanta event, and had asked Marc Cendella for permission to distribute
copies of one of his columns. He graciously said we could use anything we
wanted, as long as we credited TheLadders. Go to STC and other
organizational meetings where someone may announce job openings you might be
interested in, and network in person. Look for technical job fairs in your
area. They're usually announced in local papers and on TV. They're a good
way to get your resume to multiple companies in a single event.

For what it is worth, I lost my last position in March, and have been
applying for jobs since then, with a few interviews, but everything dragged
along with little urgency. However, things have really picked up around
Atlanta since Labor Day. I've been getting calls from multiple recruiters
for the same jobs, more jobs are being posted, and employers seem much more
serious about actually hiring someone to fill the positions that they have
had posted all summer. Good Luck

Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

http://www.doctohelp.com