Word (2007) to PDF - remember bookmark settings ?

Subject: Word (2007) to PDF - remember bookmark settings ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:44:31 -0700

Hello, writers,

(And if you get this twice, sorry â I am double-posting to two lists.)

My Word (2007, on Win 7, 64-bit) to PDF (Acrobat 9 Pro thatâs part of TCS 2) conversion does work just fine, and I even have a well-behaving Acrobat tab on the Word Ribbon, with well-behaved âCreate PDFâ and âPreferencesâ buttons. So I really shouldnât be complaining, I know. But...

One thing drives me batty: When I select the desired bookmark styles via the Preferences button in Word, the bookmark selections are not tied to the doc at hand, but they are remembered for the next time I do a PDF conversion.

If Iâm working with just one doc or with docs that have the identical styles that I want as bookmarks, no problem.

But if Iâm switching back-and-forth among docs where, for example, some have an appendix and some do not, and I want that Appendix style to be a PDF bookmark, I have to select the Appendix style every time I create a PDF of an appendix-including doc after Iâve created a PDF of a no-appendix doc.

I can see where thereâs likely no way for Adobe to manage this better because the bookmark settings are examined each time a PDF is created, and for a no-appendix doc Acrobat of course doesnât see that Appendix style when the doc is scanned. And since the PDF bookmarks arenât really a characteristic of the Word file, thereâd be no reason for Word to save these settings in the .docx file itself.

So I guess Iâm just hoping that someone has a nifty trick to easily (automatically) deal with this situation?

Thanks much,
-Monique

http://www.doctohelp.com