Re: Tech Writing Proofreading Practice

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Proofreading Practice
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 14:03:16 -0400

The best practice is a stint of formal proofreading for legal ads in newspapers. One person reads the typeset (on-screen) copy aloud, while the other follows along in the original material provided by the legal office or government entity. Or vice-versa. All punctuation is spoken, as in this example.

== cap commonwealth of cap massachusetts period caps ess ess period cap probate ==
== cap court paragraph cap to the heirs hyphen at hyphen law comma next of kin ==
== comma and all ... ==

Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Middlesex, SS. Probate Court
To the heirs-at-law, next of kin, and all other persons interested in the estate of Mary G. Fletcher, late of Somerville, in said county, deceased, Greeting: Whereas a certain instrument purporting to be the last will and testament ...

That was MY introduction to proofreading. Does anybody even DO that anymore?

Other methods include putting the material away for a month, or reading it backwards, end to beginning, aloud, or releasing it to go to press. Once a book or newspaper is in print, the errors you missed literally leap from each page into your awaiting eyeballs.

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:36:45 -0400, Haber, Ryan <rhaber -at- microstrategy -dot- com> wrote:

Hello all,

You were also so helpful that I thought someone here might be able to offer advice. I want to improve my proofreading skills. I know the process pretty well, but need practice at it. I also have a set of books that I am working through. What I am really looking for is a source of proofreading practice material, preferably with answer keys of some sort. I've been googling around and found a couple good practice tools and exercises, and I've searched the archives here and found a good booklist. Other recommendations are also always welcome.

http://www.doctohelp.com