RE: STC certification program

Subject: RE: STC certification program
From: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 01:15:01 -0400

Craig Cardimon commented:

> One disadvantage is that certification from a school matters somewhat. Certification from an entity that isn't known outside tech writer circles would matter much less.

People have begged STC to advocate for the profession for years. We will have to advocate for certification. Accordingly, we built a marketing budget into the business plan. That's where some of your certification investment will go 8^)

But there's another response to your comment. How does an employer "outside of tech writer circles" even know what to look for in a candidate? Until now there hasn't been an answer, and hiring decisions tended towards the arbitrary and whimsical. Now there's an easy—and valid!—way to pick someone out of the list of applicants.

-- Steve

--
Steven Jong, Chairman
STC Certification Commission

mailto:SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net
mobile:978-413-2553

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
-- Margaret Mead

http://www.doctohelp.com