Re: Generate One TOC from multiple Word Docs (Roberta Hennessey)

Subject: Re: Generate One TOC from multiple Word Docs (Roberta Hennessey)
From: Susan Tamaoki <tamaoki_s -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:00:40 -0700 (PDT)

I work with large files in Word on a regular basis. My solution is to break the document into several smaller files and create a separate document for the cover, copyright, and TOC. I use RD fields to generate the TOC. As long as all the files are in the same folder, the TOC can be generated and regenerated on demand, exactly the same way as a TOC created without the RD fields.

There are many reasons why your files may be locking up. Could be the amount of memory on your computer. Large graphics. What I call Frankenfiles - text copied and pasted from different versions of Word. But I wouldn't point the finger at Word. The new version of Word works like a dream.

Susan Kohl Tamaoki
tamaoki_s -at- yahoo -dot- com

http://www.doctohelp.com