Re: Original work [was RE: STC certification program:skepticalcurmudgeonlyness, part II]

Subject: Re: Original work [was RE: STC certification program:skepticalcurmudgeonlyness, part II]
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:58:23 -0700

I suppose I must be misunderstanding your point, because a single operator employing standardized methodologies and tools is no less a "technician" than one who is working on only a bit of a project along with others. It's not how many people are doing the work, but how they are doing it. The difference between engineering and artisan is that the artisan employs processes and skills that are non-standard and which may venture into less objective territory. For example, when I write the teardown manual for an engine, my methods and tools are standardized (there are, in fact formal standards that define them) and anyone following the standard with similar skill levels will arrive at pretty much the same result. Neil Gaiman, on the other hand, my use the same word processing software that I use, but nobody who uses the same tools and methods he employs is going to produce exactly the same result he does. I am a technician/engineer; Neil Gaiman is an artisan/artist. And if Gaiman and I both took on a partner, or two or three, the difference between how we work and what we produce would be just as glaring. Also, members of any team I put together will be more or less interchangable and the results will still be the same, but if Neil Gaiman abandons his project and Stephen King takes it over, wave goodbye to standardized results.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>

But what has that got to do with working in an artisan fashion vs. in an industrial fashion? Most of tech com today is done in artisan fashion. Most of the schools teach people to work in artisan fashion. To work artisan fashion simply means to do a small project by yourself from beginning to end on the desktop. Lots of people are still doing that post dotcom. Nothing to do with natural talent vs. being taught as far as I can see.

Is it simply that you are not understanding the term in the way I am using it, or do you genuinely think there is a connection here?

Marl

http://www.doctohelp.com