RE: turning off automatic numbering in Word 2010

Subject: RE: turning off automatic numbering in Word 2010
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Becca'" <becca -at- di -dot- org>, "'tech2wr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 16:02:55 -0400

Becca asked about turning off automatic numbering in Word 2010:
"I have steps (style: step) that are numbered 1)<tab>, 2)<tab> etc. Word
keeps wanting to turn the step style into normal+numbering, which I don't
want. When I return the style to step, the numbers (of course) disappear,
but when I put them back, the style changes again. Is there any way to turn
off Word's automatic style over-ride and automatic numbering?"
______________________________________
Becca:
Word drives me bonkers, too, when it insists on help that I do not want.
However, numbering in all versions of Word is controlled by both the Format>
Styles and the Format> Bullets and Numbering dialogs. When you use any form
of numbering, you have to check that the details in BOTH dialogs match. If
you do not want any formal numbers, you have to make sure that NONE is
selected on the Bullets and Numbering dialog, as well as in your Style
definition. Also double check that the numbering tool icon on the
ribbon/toolbar is not selected. (Word tends to turn it on anytime you type a
number, even in a text paragraph.)
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek, GA

http://www.doctohelp.com