Re: Certification -- what's in it for writers

Subject: Re: Certification -- what's in it for writers
From: Steve Schwarzman <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com>
To: Jerry Franklin <jerryfranklin -at- alumni -dot- northwestern -dot- edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:42:19 -0400

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Jerry Franklin <
jerryfranklin -at- alumni -dot- northwestern -dot- edu> wrote:

> Certification isn't for us
> (i.e., the technical communications community) -- it's for the people who
> *hire* us. It completely doesn't matter if our certification is
> comprehensive and brilliant, or if it's nothing more than a spelling test
> --
> the guy hiring a tech writer can go back to his boss and say, "Hey, I had
> good rationale for hiring this person -- he's/she's certified!" Don't
> discount this.

I think Jerry is onto something.

But if certification is little more than a fig leaf for hiring managers who
don't know better, I can indeed discount this. In fact, I will. If STC
certification will cost - what was the amount? $1000? - I'll give anyone who
wants one for $500. :)

No offense to anyone intended, just a little Friday humor.

Steve Schwarzman
Founding President of The Intergalactic Technical Communication
Certification Authority
--
*Technical Writing Management: A Practical
Guide*<http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Writing-Management-Practical-Guide/dp/1456534181?&tag=writersbookmall-20>

http://www.doctohelp.com