Re: Certification -- what's in it for writers

Subject: Re: Certification -- what's in it for writers
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:51:56 -0700

I'm neither inherently for or against certification. I just want it to provide the best bang for the buck, not just for individual writers but for the profession at large.

It's been my experience that most hiring managers don't seem to have much difficulty at all making hiring decisions when their candidates have 10+ years of senior level experience in multiple tech sectors and a list of past managers and clients willing to sing their praises, but go into a panic when their budgets can only support the compensation for an under-five-years junior level contributor or a new grad. And I don't hear many horror stories from experienced writers who were passed over for a plum job or promotion that went to someone less qualified because the hiring manager couldn't recognize the value of experience, but see repeated inquires right here in this forum from people asking what courses they should take and what experience they should pursue to break into or succeed in technical communications.

All of which led me to the conclusion that the best certification scheme, at least in the beginning, would have been for those of us who, as Steve has said, are far enough along in our careers that certification probably won't have much of an impact on our job searches compared to our 20+ years of writing and/or technical experience, to develop ways to evaluate and verify the potential of the less experienced (or, for that matter, the inexperienced) to help them get their careers in motion and develop criteria for more experienced professional levels that the less experieced can use as targets for their future development.

That doesn't seem to be the way the process has developed. IMO, what's been presented is going to be largely irrelevant for most highly experienced professionals and pretty much useless for less experienced ones with no existing body of work, but by the time we know for sure whether or not I'm right the only thing I'll probably be doing with words is trying to improve my Scrabble.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kari Gulbrandsen" <kkgulbrandsen -at- gmail -dot- com>

I am dead set against certification. At age 53, I have gone though all the
hoops that I want to go through to get a job.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Franklin" <jerryfranklin -at- alumni -dot- northwestern -dot- edu>
Funny -- I'm 53, also, but I intend to jump through those certification
hoops.

http://www.doctohelp.com