RE: Technical writing as a trade

Subject: RE: Technical writing as a trade
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: 'Dan Goldstein' <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:21:14 +0000

Learning how to write well doesn't require "long and intensive academic preparation"? Were you born an excellent writer? Regardless, notice the caveat in the definition: "often."

But I didn't say I would use that definition exclusively, and having taken a second look at it, it obviously falls short since after you remove the caveat, the definition is far too general: "A calling requiring specialized knowledge".

Again, I would argue that where trade/craft create order in matter, professions create order in ideas. In addition, I like Craig's distinction, "I guess it means our collars are white, and our fingernails are clean."

It isn't a matter of superiority or inferiority. It is a matter of calling a thing what it is.