Re: Certification -- what's in it for writers

Subject: Re: Certification -- what's in it for writers
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:17:56 -0700

Why yes. Certification of the vast unwashed is similar to a religious
debate. ;-)

And in the hunt for jobs, I don't think certification will make or
break a hiring decision. The initial process is more like an awards
submission than a special project completed specifically for
the credential.

My "Darwinian" thinking leads me to believe that academia will eat
itself. As higher levels of education become required for more and
more positions, the job market will experience an apocalypse. Then,
only those with presentable bodies of work will be able to get jobs.

It's kind of like that in Japan, where people get hired because of the
reputations of their previous employers, and not only their academic
credentials.

If one does NOT have a body of presentable work, (e.g. a student, or
employee of a super secret company), then that candidate will have to
learn to fake it. It may be a lot of work to scrub samples, or create
a batch of fakes at home from memory (if you can't bring copies home
with you), but it is definitely worth it.

And funny thing: presentation is key. Creating fake documents to match
the branding of a target company has gotten my friend top rates in her
last few contracts.

Certification holds as much practical value for me as skydiving. I'm
willing to do anything just for the experience. But I will not
speculate on it's affect on my job prospects.

-Tony

http://www.doctohelp.com