Re: Flow Charts

Subject: Re: Flow Charts
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:01:05 +0800 (WST)

Hi Kari. This is a great book:

Illustrating Computer Documentation:
The Art of Presenting Information Graphically on Paper and Online, by William Horton (Wiley)

It was a great help to me in my early days as a visually illiterate TW.

I don't know if it's still in print but it shouldn't be hard to find a second-hand copy. You can download it as a PDF ($20):
http://www.horton.com/icdbook.htm. You can also download a free PDF with the full TOC and a sample chapter to see if covers the sort of material you're after.

It's very practical and has many examples of different types of diagram and graphic, including 'visual elements' that you might not normally think of as illustrations such as tables, lists and page layouts. You might think that a book for TWs and illustrators published in 1991 would be horribly dated, but in fact there's almost nothing in it that's tied to graphics software of the day. It should help you to plan and produce really good illustrations even if the only tools at your disposal were pencil and paper.

Good luck with your flow charts!

Stuart

---

http://www.doctohelp.com