Subject: TechWhirl Recap for November 25, 2011
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 10:39:21 -0600

This week’s update is supported by Platinum sponsor Madcap & their Ultimate
Communications Suite, MadPak | http://goo.gl/eO3ls

*Thank* /THaNGk/

Verb: Express gratitude to (someone), esp. by saying “Thank you”: "Mac
thanked her for the meal and left"

Yesterday in the United States was Thanksgiving. Having lived outside of
the US for a while, I (Al) know that Thanksgiving raises a number of
questions. What’s it for again? Why do you Americans (and Canadians but
theirs is in October) have this holiday? I’ve personally explained the
holiday on three different continents over the years. Frankly, my
explanations aren’t always the same but each will touch on similar themes
such as it’s a day we use to celebrate being together, being alive and the
success we’ve had over the year.

Or, if the year has been particularly difficult sometimes we celebrate the
fact the year is almost over. Once upon a time, we (royal use here) often
understood happiness as appreciating what we have rather than just yearning
for what we don’t. Many, many people still adhere to that principle and
Thanksgiving provides a perfect time to do just that—appreciate what we
have even if it’s not what we ultimately want.

Connie and I have been managing TechWhirl for nearly nine months now. And
while we are preparing for next month’s “Santa, All I want for Christmas …”
series, we thought it would be a good time to say thank you and appreciate
what we have right now.

>From Al, I’m thankful for:

- my wife and real family who have supported me throughout the years and
are positive motivators for continuing with TechWhirl
- my grandmother who is one tough cookie. She won’t stop fighting to
keep her mind and body strong
- a great work partner who’s been a close friend for years. It’s great
to have full trust in someone
- our sponsors and advertisers who have been willing to stick by the new
kids while they push forward even if it means we’ve changed some stuff
- every person we’ve met while managing TechWhirl who has been willing
to give us their time and talents on nothing much more than a promise

>From Connie, I’m thankful for:

- The really great opportunities to work on really cool stuff,
especially TechWhirl.
- An amazing family who often puts the “fun” in dysfunctional, but
supports me in all my adventures.
- A business partner and close friend who is everything I am not, and
pushes me to do better and do more.
- Friends who are like family, and keep me motivated, grounded and sane.
- The immensely talented members of the SWU, TechWhirl’s sponsors and
the many great folks we’ve met along the way. You have become our
professional reason for being.

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Inside TechWhirl newsletter (all about our work) | http://goo.gl/yRxu1
- Typing TechWhirl.Com too much for you? Try RSS | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support. Without them, we’d have no turkey; just the sides.

*Platinum A*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Platinum B: *ComponentOne
Software<http://www.doctohelp.com/?utm_source=techwrl.com&utm_medium=125x125%2Bbanner%2Bad&utm_campaign=doctohelp>,
Madcap Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>

*Gold*: EC Software <http://www.ec-software.com/>, Vancouver Island
University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>, Society for Technical
Communication (STC) <http://www.stc.org/>
What You’re Talking About

*
*A quick *What you talkin’ ‘bout* to our Tech Writers and their discussions
in our email discussion group <http://goo.gl/YUrbb>:

· Kari Gulbrandsen wants good suggestions and references for
representing ideas and concepts in “Flow Charts.” Stuart Burnfield
suggests “Illustrating Computer Documentation: The Art of Presenting
Information Graphically on Paper and Online,” by William Horton, and
Michael West suggests “Envisioning Information” and other work by Edward
Tufte.

· Kevin McLaughlin found a truly fine example to “Make your day -
"techwriting" meets ad copy, and it ain't pretty” and it’s worth clicking
the link to have a read.
http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-11HP-29-Snowblower-W0QQAdIdZ332915918
. The author has a gift for knowing the audience and writing specifically
to it.
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

- Tech Writer Tips & Tricks: Advanced DITA (Sponsored by Adobe) |
http://goo.gl/5LqAQ
- Book Review: The Secret Life of Word by Robert Delwood, reviewed by
Cheryl Voloshin | http://goo.gl/pJJZU
- All About E-Readers by Keith Soltys | http://goo.gl/0BkCf

So long and have a great weekend,

Connie & Al