RE: RE: Document Properties Greyed Out in Acrobat Pro

Subject: RE: RE: Document Properties Greyed Out in Acrobat Pro
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:49:30 -0800

Nancy Allison wrote:

> Nov 29, 2011 05:27:00 PM, richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com wrote:
>
> > Have you by any chance enabled commenting?
>
> Oh, YES. That's it.
>
> Has Adobe provided a rationale for these restrictions? Why would it
> make a difference in commenting mode for me to set the initial view to
> "Fit Page in Window"? As it is, Adobe for some reason opens the PDF to
> 151% magnification, which is huge and unhelpful.

I couldn't guess what technical limitations make these restrictions necessary. To live with them, you just need to cultivate the habit of enabling commenting as the very last step of preparing the PDF for review.

In your current circumstance, the workaround is to use Save As to make a new copy (not commenting-enabled) of the PDF. Then set the initial view (and make any other changes). When you're done, enable commenting and, when prompted for a file name and location, overwrite your previous commenting-enabled version.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom