RE: Adobe 9 Pro Linking Problem

Subject: RE: Adobe 9 Pro Linking Problem
From: <Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 12:44:53 -0800

I've never noticed that Portfolio function. It seems like kind of a nice
"app". I don't think it will work for my immediate needs, though.
I couldn't get the Portfolio to produce something simple enough for my
potential audience. And I pretty much need the contents page I already
created. I tried using it as a background image, but accessing files
that way was not particularly obvious.
My audience will be getting an electronic version of the printed book
they're used to using. I can only assume the worst when it comes to
anticipating their savviness.

-B

-----Original Message----- From: Mike McCallister

Brian,

I think yours is the exact use case for PDF Portfolios, introduced in
Acrobat 9 Pro. The Portfolio (File > Create Portfolio from the menu or
Create > Assemble PDF Portfolio from the toolbar) is your Table of
Contents page, and you can customize a theme, add a logo, and similar
such stuff. You should then be able to move the portfolio to your CD,
with a set of files (which, BTW, don't have to be PDF) that Reader 9+
can pull up and process.

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Henderson

I have a few PDFs that I want to put on a CD, and have autorun open a
PDF table of contents. The problem I'm having is that Adobe won't let me
create a link to separate PDFs without including the full path to those
documents. And of course, those PDFs being somewhere other than on a CD
while I'm creating the links, the path to those files is no longer valid
once they're on a disc.

Does anyone know how I can edit a link path directly, to just have the
filename in the link? I haven't found any way to do it using Adobe.

Has Adobe always functioned this way? I'd swear I've done this sort of
thing in years past. Though, it could be HTML I'm remembering. I could
set-up the CD to use an HTML contents page, but I don't want the PDFs to
open in a browser, for those users who have theirs set to operate that
way.

http://www.doctohelp.com