RE: need suggestions on handling a boss

Subject: RE: need suggestions on handling a boss
From: Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 18:32:27 +0000

Yeah... given that this is a particularly whacked situation, you don't want to waste time that you could be using to find a better job by obsessing over documenting every little bit of crazy.

Nor do you want to provoke the boss and possibly create an image of yourself as a "troublemaker" to third parties by getting into a cc'ing power game.

As for getting the info you need to do your work: you could try asking the developers if they can make time to help you do your research. Then email your boss to say: "I can see that you are super busy; so I've lined up somebody who is willing to help me".

If she reacts badly, then you will have something in writing that demonstrates who the problem is. If she doesn't protest, then you will establish yourself as being somebody who is a big asset to her, because she will know that she can give you an assignment, back off and not worry, and count on you to deliver.