Re: What doc formats do readers actualy use? Was, "what doc formats do READERs want ?"

Subject: Re: What doc formats do readers actualy use? Was, "what doc formats do READERs want ?"
From: Deborah Hemstreet <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:20:49 +0200

I prefer printed manuals.

I hate the new Microsoft Help in Word 2010. It is totally and absolutely useless. I have gotten more help by doing a Google search than via the Word Help.

Adobe's help, likewise, is increasingly less useable... because everyone is moving from the old fashioned Help. Personally, .CHMs and WebHelp, when designed properly are easy to navigate and very user-friendly... all the bells, whistles and widgets drive me nuts!

<rant rant rant>

But who cares about useability and really helping the user these days?

Certainly not the bottom line.

Good design and good writing cost $$$ and no one wants to pay anymore.

My own two cents worth.

Deborah
http://www.tech-challenged.com

**

*
<http://deborah.hemstreet.googlepages.com/home>*

On 12/13/2011 11:51 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

I've always preferred the FrameMaker printed manual for certain gnarly
topics, like index tags, where it's more convenient than the online
help or PDF version. The copy I have dates back to 5.5 or 6.0 but the
things I use it for have not changed.

Is there a downloadable PDF for Word 10?

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Porrello, Leonard
<lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com> wrote:
... Has anyone on the list felt the need to download a PDF for, say, Word, InDesign, or DreamWeaver? If you are using an older version of Frame, how often did/do you use the bundled, printed user guide? ...

http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/dvora%40tech-challenged.com

http://www.doctohelp.com