RE: Techno-fuddyduddy getting anxious

Subject: RE: Techno-fuddyduddy getting anxious
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: David Harrison <dharrison -at- moldmasters -dot- com>, Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:44:22 -0500

Gee... I must be up to a 5!
I use MadCap Flare to make WebHelp... period...
So that means I write stuff and pull in the odd picture,
and then I press a button and out comes WebHelp. I don't
even use about 90-percent of the capability and features
of the software.

I just-this-week replaced my old flip cellphone. I know
it could text, because a sister-in-law used to send me
text messages until it became obvious how painfully,
painfully slow I was at responding on a numeric keypad.
I didn't have a data plan.
Now I have a 6Gb data plan and a Motorola XT860... which
is already outdated technology, but it has a physical
keyboard. So far, the most fun I've had with it was
while walking the dog last night. I'd downloaded the
Android app that does what that iPad night-sky app does:
I hold the phone up toward a twinkly object (not an
aircraft) and it shows me a picture of the celestial
object with its name and (when appropriate) with lines
to the rest of its constellation. Cool.
Yep, that bright one is still Jupiter.

On the slide-out keyboard (5 rows - which was the
deciding factor over the Samsung offering, which is
newer and has an [arguably] better screen, but has
only a 4-row keyboard with no separate number row),
I can thumb-type about 1/10 as fast as I can type
on my laptop, which will improve, and which is still
many times faster than I was doing on the old phone's
numeric keypad.

I guess I'll hafta get me one o' them-thar social-media
thingie accounts now, and move myself up to 6 on
the scale. Just as soon as I can decide which one
might do me the most good, and the least damage.
So far, it's lookin' like Linked-In. Maybe.

I agree about the general uselessness of "learning"
work-not-quite-related technology that I won't actually
use, and will therefore utterly forget within weeks.

I really envy those who can download a sample/trial
software and beat on it for a week, and then remember
how to use it two years later when an opportunity
comes up. I don't think it's my age... I'm pretty sure
I _never_ had that facility.

-kevin

PS: I'm guessing you are not the Dave Harrison who
lived in Barrhaven for several years and who used
to jump out of airplanes at Gananoque (among other
places)... ?
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com