Anonymous: Burnout, advancement and career changing

Subject: Anonymous: Burnout, advancement and career changing
From: INKtopia Admin <admin -at- inktopia -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:26:29 -0500

Admin Note: the following is being posted anonymously. Please direct all

I've been a tech writer for 15 years. I'm burned out, not so much from the
work, but from the constant battle for respect. While I usually obtain it,
it takes a lot to get it. When I finally do get it, before long I'm off to
a new position. (I work in contracting.). I didn't have this problem in
grad school nor do I have it elsewhere. There are other issues too, such as
the lack of advancement opportunities and lack of challenging and
meaningful work.

I am interested in hearing from people who made a career change, but might
still be on this list. How did you identify your new field, how did you
market yourself? I have many skills, a brand new digital media degree,
but am having a hard time separating myself from the writing role since
I've done it for so long. I'm interested also in those who left and then
returned to the field. Why did you come back?

If you have questions, please direct them to the list. I might not be able
to answer quickly, but I will respond within a few hours. Appreciate your
comments and feedback.

Anon

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl