Netiquette as she is spoke (was RE: Grammar Gang - a nifty blog

Subject: Netiquette as she is spoke (was RE: Grammar Gang - a nifty blog
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:15:26 -0500

I guess I got some joy from some of the several posts
that I visited, but it seemed to lack the crisp,
straightforward confidence and authority that some
other sources effect (or is that affect*).

At any rate, I left a comment to a post that was written
in 2009, just to see if anybody still lives there.

Now, I've seen people grumped at, in the past for
infractions involving commenting on two-year-old
blog posts, or e-mailing to six-month-old mailing-list
threads and forum posts.

I can see a wee bit of a problem if the topic content
is thoroughly outdated, such as technology that nobody
uses any more. But, I see no problem with somebody
reviving a discussion that that died last year, if
the writer just discovered it (either from random
browsing or because they have a relevant question)
and the question in the new writer's mind was not
addressed.

Obviously, reviving an ancient flame war is not a
good thing.

However, as we like to remind each other, everything
that gets posted to the interweeb is basically
"forever", so it's unreasonable to expect people
not to keep stumbling upon old posts and web pages.

So what's wrong with taking 'em up where they left off?

What is the big advantage (other than avoiding some
people yelling at you) to starting a fresh thread...
only to have somebody send you a link to the old
thread, regardless... hmm?

(* If the blog is still alive and the moderator
approves my comment, you'll see the jest.)

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com