RE: cloud backup services, for EXE files ?

Subject: RE: cloud backup services, for EXE files ?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 10:13:44 -0800

Monique Semp wrote:

> Iâm trialing Carbonite for online backups, but Iâve just learned that
> not only are EXE files excluded from automatic backups, you canât even
> manually add them to the backup list!
>
> Lots of my software was delivered via download, in the form of MSI or
> EXE files, and thatâs precisely what I really want backed up!
> (Certainly donât want to lose all that money I spent buying all this
> nifty software.)

I've never used Carbonite. But can't you archive (e.g., ZIP) the applications and back up the archives? They aren't going to change, so you only need to do it once, and the compression will save a lot of storage space (I assume Carbonite isn't providing unlimited space).

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom