RE: Typography for gui items

Subject: RE: Typography for gui items
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Sarah Lee Hauslinger <slhauslinger -at- gmail -dot- com>, Richard L Hamilton <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:28:13 -0500

In some fonts, and in some lighting conditions, bold is not all that
distinctive, the more-so if you have several instances in a sentence.

I like the convention that I adopted years ago, and at least one
other writer on this list has advocated - Start and end the button
or menu item name with square brackets.

It makes it look vaguely like a button [ Next ], [ Cancel ],
[ Save as... ], [ Eliminate all free radicals ],
and it's likely to be unlike other conventions you have used in
your document.

Short buttons could be included in-line, while more verbose
items from menus could still be bracketed, but -

[ Would always appear alone on a new line ]
[ Compensate for clock drift ]
[ Print the middle two thirds of page without context ]

On the other hand, if you do have recurrent use of square brackets
for some other purpose, then this is not so useful for GUI bits.

Maybe you could combine the square brackets with shading/highlighting
of the included text. Everything inside the brackets gets a light-gray
background, perhaps.

-k

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help