Re: Wiki

Subject: Re: Wiki
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Katarina Bovin <office -at- abc-tech -dot- se>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:36:59 -0800

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Katarina Bovin <office -at- abc-tech -dot- se> wrote:
> Just thought it would be nice to have everything at the same place, and
> exploring all options :-)

General advice: Do NOT include a public-contribution–enabled wiki
module with your website, unless it can be hosted using a completely
separate database. My friend runs a WordPress blog and a discussion
forum, and has been the target of all sorts of viral attacks that he
really doesn't need. Our STC chapter site uses ExpressionEngine. EE is
a great content management system for web designers to code templates
without having to know a lot of code. We use its wiki and discussion
forum modules, and the tools lack in features and functionality, based
on the material out there in the market. It would be better to run a
TikiWiki or Drupal site, each of which uses modules that do all things
"pretty well".

That said, a good wiki is difficult to contain within a module. What
you need is an authentication bridge between the public website and
the wiki, that lets you set editing restrictions on the WordPress side
and the Wiki side that are different from each other.

-Tony

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help