RE: spam and who you formerly were

Subject: RE: spam and who you formerly were
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:11:42 -0500

Seriously?

You have received messages from a company that was bought by another company, that was bought by another company, 3, 6, 9 years ago, and they never failed to inform you that "If you don't recognize our name, it's because you gave your co-ordinates to a company that was either an acquisition of ours, or one with which we are associated by some chain of ownership, up or down or sideways, or in some partnership covered by disclaimer in our privacy policy"?

Every time I've left an e-mail address at some site, because I was willing to trade it for access to something (usually info), I was directed to a "Privacy Policy" that pretty-much invariably said "this company or our subsidiaries, owners, partners, or entities that need specific personal data in order to fulfill transactions...."

Are there people on this list who imagine that if you provide e-mail addresses or other identifying info to a company/web-site, they don't keep it until it gets dusty, and anybody who buys them doesn't get your name/data as part of the assets? And that if they fail and get broken up into components for salvage, your data doesn't become the property of some jobber, with the full, compliant agreement of all relevant government entities?

Anyway, I'm using the current little incident to prod the high priest(s/esses) of the corporate website to include some additional language and to implement some sort of visible, reliable, automated opt-out system.