RE: flare vs authorit

Subject: RE: flare vs authorit
From: "Steve Janoff (non-Celgene)" <sjanoff -at- celgene -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Cayenne Woods <mail -at- cayennewoods -dot- info>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 11:33:22 -0700

As of Flare 7 this is accomplished by selecting the check box labeled "Exclude content not linked directly or indirectly from the target" on the Advanced tab of the open target. Works great. (I had the exact same problem you were having.)

The new ribbon interface works well and there's a new Quick Access Toolbar where you can drop commonly used tools (although I filed a bug because the "Close Project" button wouldn't stick -- kept disappearing every time I closed the app; they're on it).

I hear this a lot about Authorit, the ease of use (although I've heard from one or two pretty skilled professionals that they *didn't* find it easy to use). I'd love to try it (could probably do a free download), but it did seem priced out of reach when I was researching it and that's no good -- I don't know why they'd want to lose a big market but maybe they're going for the big industrial stuff. Too bad, if it does turn out to be an easy app.

Steve

Cayenne Woods wrote:

One of my biggest issues with Flare was having to put conditions on
everything so that it would NOT publish to the html output - draft
topics, topics for other products, etc. I may try again to get
best-practice tips from them but was unable to get that previously.
What happened was that crud showed up in searches in html output, even
tho it wasn't in the TOC - how Author-it handled this was, if something
was linked it was published, without having to think about it.
Another thing I found really hard may be addressed in Flare 8, from
what I've seen - which is some amount of customization available for a
toolbar, so that frequently used styles and tasks can be done in one
step instead of 3 or 4.

THIS ELECTRONIC MAIL MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENT IS
CONFIDENTIAL AND MAY CONTAIN LEGALLY PRIVILEGED
INFORMATION INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL
OR INDIVIDUALS NAMED ABOVE.
If the reader is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please reply to the
sender to notify us of the error and delete the original
message. Thank You.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help