Re: "Allow" vs. "Require"

Subject: Re: "Allow" vs. "Require"
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 16:07:17 -0700

On 4/9/2012 3:07 PM, Porrello, Leonard wrote:

Your comment blatantly missed the gist of what I was saying. Granted that, I genuinely wonder if you are qualified to determine what "real world" means.

I'm blatantly missing why you seem to be taken offense to what Dan posted and why you are lobbing insults. Dan seems to have used "real world" to describe the problem he was personally working on, which is not as complex as the discussion about why one word worked better than the other.

You said, "A good education will enable you to achieve your highest potential." Dan said, "I see nothing wrong with the sentence, "A good education will allow you to achieve your highest potential." Dan provided a fair opinion and a true statement and clarified his comment with, "I said that they're interchangeable in your first example, ..."

I do not see where anything Dan said could be seen as offensive or as deserving of hostile comments.

Additionally, I disagree with Dan that because the sentence works with each word that the words are interchangeable. Each use of the word produces a different fact. A good education will *both* "enable" and "allow" high achievement, but it is not the case that each variation of the sentence has the same meaning. To enable is to provide a step up or forward, but to allow is to open the door. So the use of "enable" in the education example does not provide a mutually exclusive use of the term that contrasts against "allow."

On 4/9/2012 3:10 PM, Porrello, Leonard wrote:
Thanks, Richard. Posting here sometimes leaves me feeling like I've slipped in the parallel universe of DC Comics' Bizarro-Superman.

Leonard, I think you read something offensive into the discussion that simply was not there. Sometimes, a discussion is just a discussion.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help