Re: Pay Gap Between Manager and Subordinates

Subject: Re: Pay Gap Between Manager and Subordinates
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 10:29:28 -0400

Of course your manager knows what you get paid, that information is
probably part of their budget process. And when you get a 3% raise,
they know the dollar amount of your pay bump.

Your salary is the result of a bunch of different factors: when you
got hired (boom or bust period), how well you negotiated your incoming
salary, how many years of experience you have, how many years you've
been at the company, your gender (I've seen less experienced writers
get paid more than me just because they were men), etc.

So I think it would be pretty easy for example, a new female manager
to be making much less than a male writer with 20 years experience.
In fact, I'm pretty sure we had that exact situation at my first TW
job.

--
Julie Stickler
http://heratech.wordpress.com/