RE: Do you think I am asking for trouble? Was RE: Real World Advantages of Office / Word 2007 and Windows 7

Subject: RE: Do you think I am asking for trouble? Was RE: Real World Advantages of Office / Word 2007 and Windows 7
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riveraintech -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 17:49:36 -0400

2 GB RAM should be plenty for Word 2010 under Win XP, depending on what
else you have running. All of the old rules for creating large documents
in Word still apply in 2010:

* Disable Fast Saves, Autosave, Background Saves...
* Disable "Keep of Track of Formatting."
* Use anchored graphics, not floating.
* If an inserted object won't need to be revised, convert it to WMF or
some other graphic format.
* Add graphics only by using inserting from a file. Avoid directly
pasted graphics.
* Use paragraph, character, and table styles - no manual formatting!
* Eliminate unused styles.
* Occasionally view hidden text. I've found a few surprises that way.
* Minimize section breaks.
* Use frames instead of text boxes.

I'm sure the gang can chime in with a few more...