Re: Easy photo knockout (masking)

Subject: Re: Easy photo knockout (masking)
From: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 10:01:19 -0400

The quick mask is not meant to be pixel perfect (hence quick). It quickly
gives you a good enough mask that you can then refine.

There's a box full of tools to make selections, masks, and pull things off
the background and It all depends on what the object is and what kind of
background it's on.

Marquee
Lasso (polygon, magnetic)
Quick selection tool
Magic wand
And don' forget the background eraser

Each has its own options/features/settings to toy with and they all include
the refine edges button.

Certainly if you are cutting an object with clearly defined edges off of a
chromakey background then magic wand or magnetic lasso or background eraser
is going to be fastest.

If it is a complex object, like hair, on a varied background (your typical
snapshot) then you are going to need your favorite selection tool (I like
quick selection) and the refine edges features. If you are cutting complex
objects off varied backgrounds you are not ever going to get pixel perfect
edges. You will get nice clean edges through a combination of opacity
adjustments and color correction.

No matter which tool you use, if you click refine edges, you drop into
quick mask mode. So technically using a selection tool and clicking refine
edges, is the same as just clicking quick mask. The difference is the
assistive tools built into the refine edges feature.

-Greg

05/23/2012 04:18:56 PM:

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help