What is happening to us -- was RE: What's wrong with this headline?

Subject: What is happening to us -- was RE: What's wrong with this headline?
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:17:54 -0400

I was going to say that out of 300 million people in this country, the only
choice we have is between Obama and Romney as the potential leaders for the
next four years. But I guess that is a political statement and not a
writing issue and probably gets me moderated.

Equally sad is it is a mirror of where the writing profession is going.

Fewer places have editors. Fewer places have real writers. Typographical
errors are appearing more and more in the newspapers across America.
Websites are loaded with them. More and more Americas seem to place some
sick pride in their inability to spell or use the correct word, such as
their, there, and they're. And it is going from bad to worse, as
unfortunately, many teachers in our school systems WHOSE JOB IS TO TEACH
ENGLISH will see nothing wrong with it. If you don't believe me, you don't
have kids in school right now.

As such, it impacts our jobs in that fewer people seem to view technical
writers as a profession and as worth any money. After all, everyone learned
to write in third grade.

The competition among writers to fill the need for published material (news
articles, use guides, technical documentation, and so on) has become such
that we see ads such as "Content writers wanted - $1 page" and "Technical
writer needed - $13/hour" more often.

A large percentage of people viewing this heading will see nothing wrong
with it. This explains why they see nothing special about our profession.

This explains the mentality of people who work the last three weeks on a 50
page document and let me have it Friday so that it can be presentable for
the customer's review on Monday morning.

I bet that wasn't the reply you were expecting.