Re: RE: Most innovative user doc output

Subject: Re: RE: Most innovative user doc output
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 13:11:36 -0500 (CDT)

Steve Janoff asks for clarification about the kinds of innovation I'm looking for.

Here's my background: I have been stuck in the PDF/.chm box for many years, at both freelance and full-time jobs. The PDFs have been stuck with page layouts that were the cutting edge of 1992, and the .chms have been bare-bones, text-only, context-sensitive at the topic level.

So, when I say *innovative,* I am talking about things that may not be that innovative to some lucky tech writers, but that would be to me, such as:

-- Presentation (graphics-heavy, text-light, for example). Definitely not a new idea but infrequently practiced in my neck of the woods.

-- Medium: i-Phone apps, e-book readers, I-pads, Android tools, all mobile stuff

-- Collaboration tools: wikis, MindTouch, I don't know what else

-- Production: XML, wikis, DITA producing multiple outputs, single-sourcing intelligently done to meet the needs of different audiences

-- Innovative technology: Interactivity with user, intelligently applied multi-media (Flash things you actually want to use, for example, instead of being dreaded time-wasters).

I appreciate the questions very much -- you've already helped me think more clearly about what I should be looking for. Please speak up if you think I'm missing an aspect of innovation in our field that I should know about.

This list is, as always, a treasure.

--Nancy

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help